Assistive Technology

The Assistive Technology Service provides students who are registered with the Disability/Access Office with software, IT facilities, advice and training to assist them with writing and research.
Assistive technology is different types of tools that allow learning to be easily accessible.
AT-Hardware : Can be physical and adaptable aids eg. a specialised mouse, coloured overlay sheets, headphones or a LiveScribe Echo (audio note taker).
AT-Software : Can assist people in many areas such as, spelling/grammar, organisation, reading, retaining or taking in information.

Contact Hannah at assistivetechnology@staff.ncad.ie


NCADSU have a T-Fund, which is a fund to help aid our transgender students financially in their transition. The T-Fund is an amount of money allocated by the college to NCADSU, which can be given to students who are socially transitioning to purchase things such as binders, packers, gaffs, gender affirming clothing, makeup etc. This money could also be used for legal purposes such as Deed Poll costs, etc.

Students can purchase things themselves and be reimbursed by NCADSU, or NCADSU can purchase items on a student's behalf. NCADSU will keep a record of receipts for all items purchased through the T-Fund.

Just send an email to ncadsu@gmail.com, or come knock on the office door!

Student support

NCAD operates a Student Assistance Fund. The Student Assistance Fund is available to all full-time and part-time registered students on accredited courses, who are experiencing particular or unexpected hardship during the academic year.

Expenses covered by the Student Assistance Fund

You can pick one category for support, unless you are applying for Childcare. If you are applying for Childcare support you can also apply for support under one other category:

  • Books and Materials
  • Rent
  • Travel
  • Utilities – Gas/Electricity
  • Medical – Doctor/Dentist
  • Compulsory travel abroad
  • Expenses associated with family breakdown
  • Expenses associated with bereavement
  • Expenses associated with accidents
  • Childcare

How to Apply for the Student Assistance Fund

  • Complete the online NCAD Student Assistance Fund Application here
  • This includes uploading supporting documentation; SUSI letter/Department of Social Welfare payment/P60 or P21 and uploading receipts for the expense that you are seeking support for.
  • All documents should be saved/clearly labelled with your name and student ID

Childcare Support Fund

NCAD operates a Childcare Support Fund. You can apply for the Childcare support fund as well as the Student Assistant fund. If you are applying for Childcare Support please ensure to upload the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate for each child & Letter/statement on headed paper from your registered childcare provided confirming that your child attends the service this academic year
  • Registered childcare services can be found on ncad.ie

You can email mcternanf@staff.ncad.ie with any other questions or queries in regards to the Childcare Support Fund or Student Assistance Fund

Learning Support

The Student Learning Support Service (SLSS) is delivered by the National Learning Network in NCAD. The learning support tutor this year is Sarah. She provides confidential, individual skill-based support sessions to students as needed,  tailored to students' specific needs that helps students manage the demands of college life in NCAD.

If you have a diagnosis:

  • Step 1: Make an appointment to register with SLSS
  • Step 2: Attend an appointment to complete a need assessment.
  • You will need to provide evidence of your disability/difficulty.
  • Step 3 : Complete a Profile of Needs
  • Step 4: Attend a brief appointment to read through and sign your Profile of Needs.

You can contact Sarah at learningsupport@staff.ncad.ie


There is a €10 charge for an appointment, and 10% off prescriptions from the Thomas Street Pharmacy, right across from NCAD. Free to students registered with the Access Service.

You can make an appointment in person at the Student Information Desk or you can email information@staff.ncad.ie or phone +353 1 636 4200


Counselling is provided for free by the NCAD Counselling Service. Generally, there isn’t more than a two week wait for an appointment, but they do prioritise based on urgency, so if you’re in a crisis then let the counselling service know!

Contact Linda at counsellor@staff.ncad.ie

Helpful Resources and Info

Find the contact details for any queries you may have.

Staff Directory

Looking for Accommodation in this trying renting crisis? Join our Facebook Page


Don't forget your rights as a renter!

Renting Tips

If you’re looking for more specific information, you might find these contacts useful:

Mental Health Support

  • Text About It / 50808: 50808 is a free 24/7 text service, providing everything from a calming chat to immediate support for people going through a mental health or emotional crisis - big or small. Text HELLO to 50808 to start a conversation, any time - day or night. 
  • Samaritans / 116 123: The Samaritans Helpline is available 24 hours a day for anyone in distress. For immediate support, about whatever is getting to you, don’t hesitate to call them on 116 123. 
  • Pieta House / 1800 247 247: Pieta House provides free 24/7 support or those in suicidal distress or those engaging in self harm. Freephone 1800 247 247 / Text HELP to 51444.
  • AWARE / 1800 804 848: Aware provides support & information for people who experience depression or bipolar disorder. Their support line is available Monday - Sunday 10am - 10pm. 
  • Connect Counselling / 1800 477 477: Connect is a free telephone counselling and support service for any adult who has experienced abuse, trauma, or neglect in childhood. Connect is available from 6-10pm, Wednesday to Sunday.
  • Niteline / 1800 793 793: Niteline is a listening service run by students and for students, every night of term from 8:30pm - 12:30am.

Crisis Pregnancy

  • My Options / 1800 828 010: My Options is a HSE freephone one that provides free and confidential information and counselling to people experiencing an unplanned pregnancy.

LGBTQI+ Support Services

  • LBGT Helpline / 1890 929 539: The LGBT Helpline is available for confidential, judgement free support Monday to Thursday, 6:30pm-10pm, Fridays 4pm-10pm, and Saturdays/Sundays 4pm-6pm.
  • Gay Switchboard Ireland / 01 872 1055: Provides online chat and phone helpline and information for LGBT individuals, their family and friends. 
  • Dublin Lesbian Line / 01 872 9911: Offers a phone support service, staffed by women who identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual.

Sexual Health

  • HSE HIV & Sexual Health Helpline / 1800 459 459: The HSE HIV Helpline provides a free, confidential place where you can talk through your concerns about HIV and sexual health, get information about services and consider the options to help you improve your situation.
  • HIV Ireland / 01 873 3799: HIV Ireland provides support, information and advocacy services to people living with HIV and their families and caregivers.
  • MPower / mpower.hivireland.ie: The MPOWER Programme is a suite of peer-driven community-level interventions which aim to achieve a reduction in the acquisition of HIV and STIs and an overall improvement of sexual health and wellbeing among gay, bisexual and men who have sex with men (gbMSM).
  • SpunOut.ie / Sexual Health & Relationships

Housing / Rental Support

  • Residential Tenancies Board / 0818 303 037: RTB operates Ireland’s national Tenancy Register and resolves disputes between landlords, tenants, and third parties. 
  • Threshold / 1800 454 454: Threshold is a national housing charity that campaigns for the rights of tenants, works to end homelessness, provides free and confidential advice and tenancy protection services to people with housing problems. 


  • OneFamily / 01 662 9212: OneFamily provides a helpline for listening support and information for people parenting alone, sharing parenting, and those separating. 

Drugs & Alcohol

  • HSE Drugs & Alcohol Helpline: Call the confidential freephone helpline on 1800 459 459 from Monday to Friday between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous / 01 842 0700: Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
  • Narcotics Anonymous / 01 672 8000: NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of people for whom drugs has become a major problem
  • Spunout.ie / Health & Wellbeing
  • Information on Drug Harm Reduction Campaign can be found here.

Student Assistance fund is a grant created for students who may need financial aid. Basically, save EVERY single receipt related to your college expenses (transport, materials, child care, etc.) and use them to reimburse you, everyone is eligible to apply. There are two applications during the academic year, in first semester and second semester. The application form can be found here.

You can apply in both semesters, but you can only claim under one category. We could all do with a few extra moneys so why not apply and see what you can claim back! 

The process for appealing a grade can be found here.